As the leaves start to fall and the mornings get chillier it feels right to look ahead to the autumn. The apple day market has become a fantastic annual event here in Sandford. This year on Saturday 1st October we are turning it into an Apple, Beer & Cider Festival which will run through til 2pm! There will be pulled pork rolls with apple sauce (using meat kindly donated by Coopers) as well as tasty homemade veggie burgers. We will have apple bobbing and beer and cider tastings from local producers. We will also of course be providing the opportunity for everyone to have a go at pressing apples into delicious juice. If you have apples start saving them now and start saving your glass or plastic bottles too (glass is good if you want to pasteurise your juice; plastic if you want to freeze it).
This week at the market Sandford’s own Sourdough baker-in-residence, Robert Rodrigues, is giving us a new speciality loaf to reflect the change in the seasons. Out goes Honey & Lavender (although still available if you pre-order) and in comes a Leek and Potato loaf. Robert says it goes brilliantly with soup. There will be tasters so make sure to pop by the general stall to try.
Saturday Market guest stalls:
The Clays Market Garden: Fruit and vegetables – grown without chemicals.
Ally’s Kitchen – Delicious cakes & puddings
Make. Do. Mend. (http://www.mariaskoyles.co.uk) – Clothing repair service
Porch Preserves – Jams and chutneys
On Fridays our café offers hot and cold drinks, great homemade cakes and scones plus a different soup each week and amazing sandwiches made using fab local ingredients.
On Saturdays our Market Café serves the best bacon and egg bap around, pastries, DIY toast, fresh coffee, teas and juice.
Available every Friday and Saturday:
* Bread from Cornfields family bakery, Wheatley
* ‘Sandford Sourdough’ baked here in the village
* Homemade cakes and scones
* Milk from Cotteswold Dairy (http://www.cotteswold-dairy.co.uk/)
* Free range eggs from Beechwood Farm and organic eggs from FAI in Whytham
* Great local pork from Jane and Mark Cooper
* Local jams, honey, sauces and apple juice
* Great English cheeses
* Lovely yoghurt and butter
* SESI refill washing-up and laundry liquid
* Local beers
* Selection of wines from the Oxford Wine Company
* Our full corner shop range of basic goods (everything from beans to biscuits!)