Alongside all the usual fantastic food at the market this Saturday there is also a chance to learn about Maria Skoyle’s (of the Make. Do. Mend. stall) extraordinary new project: the Dorcas dress. Maria joins us once every month with her sewing machine and she will have repaired clothes for many of you.
She’s been working with women from around the world to find a fashionable dress solution which can be: made in one size, yet fits anyone; be made on the simplest of straight stitch hand powered sewing machines in any rural region; with no trims or fastenings, just the fabric and thread to reduce sourcing issues and it’s carbon footprint; and based on a business model which can support women from around the world, whether they are earning a living wage in the UK or able to earn generously to support their communities in poorer countries like Mozambique. Maria will be bringing a selection of sample dresses to the market, you’ll find her, as usual sat behind her sewing machine in the hall.
We are also very pleased to welcome back some of the organisers of the Sandford-on-Thames Village Fete and Flower Festival this week. They will be able to fill you in on what to look forward to on Saturday 25th June – from jazz to birds of prey to a tug of war – the fete has it all!
This week’s guest stalls:
Ally’s Kitchen – Delicious cakes
Make. Do. Mend. (http://www.mariaskoyles.co.uk) – Clothing repair service
Porch Preserves – Jams and chutneys
Sandford Village Fete – Info stall
Available every week:
Our Market Café serving the best bacon and egg bap around, pastries, DIY toast, fresh coffee, teas and juice.
* Vegetables from Sandy (http://www.sandylanefarm.net/) Lane Farm (http://www.sandylanefarm.net/) or The Clays Market Garden
* Fresh bread and pastries from Cornfields family bakery, Wheatley and ‘Sandford Sourdough’ baked here in the village
* Milk and cream from Cotteswold Dairy (http://www.cotteswold-dairy.co.uk/)
* Free range eggs from Beechwood Farm and organic eggs from FAI in Whytham
* Great local pork from Jane and Mark Cooper
* Local jams, honey, sauces and apple juice
* Great English cheeses
* Lovely yoghurt and butter
* SESI refill washing-up and laundry liquid
* Local beers
* Selection of wines from the Oxford Wine Company
* Our full corner shop range of basic goods (everything from beans to biscuits!)