We are very pleased to introduce a new vegetable supplier this Saturday, Mark Stevenson, of The Clays Market Garden. Mark will be with us from 10am – 12noon on the veg stall. From now on we will be supplied by Mark once a fortnight, with veg from the equally excellent Sandy Lane Farm (http://www.sandylanefarm.net/) in Tiddington on the alternate week.
Since losing Sam and Juliet of Ashtrees Farm when they moved to Scotland a couple of months back we have been looking for new regular suppliers. We are very lucky to have found Mark. He trained Sam and grows more than 50 kinds of organic vegetable and fruit on his site throughout the year. The principal field has the remnants of an ancient orchard, planted around 150 years ago. Many of the apples and pears we will see at the market in the autumn will be from the remaining ancient trees, some are old varieties yet to be identified. About 0.5 hectares is cultivated by hand for the vegetables, there are three polytunnels for the more exotic varieties and to extend the cropping season, enabling the farm to supply salad leaves almost every week throughout the year. To maintain a good range for customers Mark also stocks produce from other farms as well when he is unable to provide it himself. Please make sure to welcome Mark and try some of his veg.
This week’s guest stalls:
Talking Shop Knit & Stitch – great handmade gifts
Make. Do. Mend. (http://www.mariaskoyles.co.uk) – Clothing repair service
Available every week:
Our Market Café serving the best bacon and egg bap around, pastries, DIY toast, fresh coffee, teas and juice.
* Vegetables from Sandy Lane Farm or The Clays Market Garden
* Fresh bread and pastries from Cornfields family bakery, Wheatley and ‘Sandford Sourdough’ baked here in the village
* Milk and cream from Cotteswold Dairy (http://www.cotteswold-dairy.co.uk/)
* Free range eggs from Beechwood Farm and organic eggs from FAI in Whytham
* Great local pork from Jane and Mark Cooper
* Local jams, honey, sauces and apple juice
* Great English cheeses
* Lovely yoghurt and butter
* SESI refill washing-up and laundry liquid
* Local beers
* Selection of wines from the Oxford Wine Company
* Our full corner shop range of basic goods (everything from beans to biscuits!)