Serves 6 – 8
- 1.5kg (3lb) rolled brisket
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) Guinness
- 350 ml (12 fl oz) chicken or beef stock
1. Heat oven to 160 C (325 F) Gas 3
2. Put beef, garlic, bay, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and Guinness in a casserole; add enough stock to come no more than half way up the meat. Bring just to the boil, cover tightly with foil, put on lid and oven-braise until fork-tender, 3 hours, turning the meat half way through cooking.
3. Let meat rest on a warmed platter covered loosely with foil while you boil down the sauce until slightly thickened, then season to taste. Slice the meat, return to the sauce and serve hot with creamy mashed potato, steamed greens and horseradish sauce. If you have any leftovers, reheat in a 180 C (350 F) for half an hour.
Cook’s note – This recipe can be prepared a day ahead – let it cool in the casserole, refrigerate overnight, slice the meat and return to the sauce; reheat in a 180 C (350 F) for half an hour.