By Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Less than 30 mins preparation time
Over 2 hours cooking time
- 2 tbsp olive oil500g/1lb 2oz un-smoked pancetta (or bacon) chopped into large cubes
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz shin of beef, sliced into 2.5cm/1in wide rounds
- 85ml/3fl oz red wine1kg/2¼lb large organic winter carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 head of celery, roughly chopped
- 1kg/2¼lb pickling onions or shallots1kg/2¼lb tomatoes, roasted and sieved to a purée
- 1 litre/1¾ pints good beef stock or water
- 1 bouquet garnimashed potatoes, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add the pancetta / bacon and fry until brown and crisp. Remove from the pan and add to a large stock pot or casserole dish.
- Fry the shin of beef in the frying pan, on both sides, until well browned. Transfer the shin to the stock pot / casserole dish.
- Pour the red wine into the frying pan and stir, for 2-3 minutes to collect the cooking juices. Tip into the pot / casserole dish.
- Place the stock pot / casserole dish over a gentle heat. Add the carrots, celery and onions. Pour in the tomato purée and enough stock or water to cover the meat and vegetables. Add the bouquet garni and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with mashed potato.