- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 60ml rice or cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 100ml rice wine or sherry
- 1kg boneless pork belly
- 250g pack or bunch pak choior other Chinese greens
- sesame oil
- rice to serve
- Heat the oven to 160c/fan 140c/gas 3. Mix the soy, vinegar, honey, spices and rice wine and tip into a shallow baking dish that will hold the pork snugly. Add the pork and cover the dish with foil. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, adding a splash of water if the sauce looks like it might evaporate. Take the foil off and turn the oven up as hot as it will go to crisp the skin and reduce the sauce. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn, it will take about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the greens and drizzle with a little sesame oil. Slice or cube the pork and serve it with the greens, steamed rice and the sauce spooned over.
712 kcalories, protein 49.4g, carbohydrate 9.5g, fat 21.5 g, saturated fat 19.8g, fibre 0.8g, salt 3.55 g
Recipe from olive magazine, April 2009.