This week we have 2 recipes, one using cauliflower which you can find on the vegetable stall and the other using the amazing steak from the meat stall.
You will need
oil 1 tablespoon
onion 1, thinly sliced (available at the veg stall)
red pepper 1, sliced lengthways
sirloin or rump steak, 2 medium sliced
fajita seasoning, 2 teaspoons
flour tortillas, 4
guacomole, salsa and sour cream (or greek yoghurt) to serve (I cheat and buy these from Sainsburys, M & S or Waitrose – they all do them as part of a “set”.
Method, step by step
- Heat oil in non-stick pan until really hot. Tip in the onions & peppers. Cook on high for a few minutes, just as they start to char at the edges.
- Add the steak and seasoning and toss well.
- Meanwhile warm the tortillas – 1 minute in the microwave should be sufficient.
- Take the pan with the guacomole, salsa and sour cream to the table alongside the warmed up tortillas.
- Put a dollop of each in a tortilla, roll up and enjoy!
You will need
cumin seeds ½ tsp
coriander seeds ½ tsp
cardamon 3 pods, crushed
groundnut oil 2 tbsps
onion 1, halved and sliced
turmeric ½ tsp
green chillies 2, finely chopped
red lentils 100g
cauliflower 1 small head, broken into small florets
lemon a squeeze
coriander a small bunch, chopped
chapattis, naans, pickles and raita to serve
Method, step by step:
- Toast the whole spices in a dry frying pan, then crush.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes. Add the crushed spices and turmeric and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chillies, lentils and 300ml water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower another 300ml water, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower and lentils are tender.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice, stir through the coriander and serve with accompaniments.