Featured Product – Lamb Mince on the Meat Stall.
2 large Aubergines
Cooking oil spray
400g lambs mince
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g can tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste
80ml dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sugar
for the Cheese Sauce you will need:
315ml semi skimmed milk
2 tablespoons plain flour
30g grated cheddar (spice it up and use chilli cheddar!)
250g ricotta cheese (don’t panic you can use philadelphia – even the light version)
pinch of cayenne pepper
.25 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cut the aubergine into slices, lengthways. Preheat the grill. Place the slices on a grill or baking tray, spray lightly with oil and grill under a high heat until golden brown. Turn over and do the other side. Set aside on a plate and continue till all slices are done.
- Turn off the grill and heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and brown the mince. Add the onion and garlic and gently fry till everything is golden.
- Add the can of tomatoes, herbs, wine, bay leaf and sugar. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce by blending a little of the milk with the flour to form a paste in a sauce pan. Heat the milk in the microwave on full power for 2 minutes. Add the warmed milk to the flour mixture and stir constantly over a low heat. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the ricotta, cheddar, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Put the dish together by using a 3rd of the aubergine slices to layer the base of a medium sized baking dish (about 1.5 litres). Top with half the meat then another layer of aubergine topped by the remaining meat and finally the last of the aubergines. Cover with the cheese sauce.
- Bake for between 35 and 40 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and the moussaka heated through.